Table of Contents
If you ever visit Italy’s beautiful country, you’ll come to know one of the best sweets that are offered – Crostata, at most restaurants and hotels. Crostata is an Italian Pie made using delicate homemade pastry dough and filled to the brim with the best jam fillings such as the best strawberry jam found in Italy.
Ingredients used in making these Amazing Italian Pastry Dough
Good Italian pastry dough is made using flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, and a whole egg at room temperature. The use of egg in the recipe makes the dough flaky to touch.
Most Italian households have their own recipes for making this dough but if you’d like to skip this step, then feel free to buy store-bought dough.
When is Crostata Served?
Crostata is usually served as an accompaniment to espresso in the late afternoon or as a dessert. Sometimes, a slice of Crostata is had for breakfast.
How to Make Homemade Italian Pie Dough?
Making a homemade dough is not as difficult as it looks. Owning a food processor can make this process so much easier. However, you can still use hands in case you don’t own a food processor.
- Firstly, place all dry ingredients in the food processor bowl and whisk all together.
- Then, add butter and eggs and combine it well.
- Then move the dough to a lightly floured but flat surface and knead it into a smooth ball.
- Now leave it to chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- After 30 minutes, roll out the dough.
What kind of filling should be used in Crostata?
North Americans have a tendency to fill their pies with fresh fruit. However, Italy lines the Crostata with the jam’s that are made using the fresh fruits sourced in Italian farms and orchards. Apart from the best strawberry jam, one can also use hazelnut cocoa spread.
Online store-bought jams are a great choice when it comes to making yummy Crostata. Make sure to choose from the plethora of amazing jams made in Italy for authentic Italian taste. Make sure to choose from your favorite jams and use them in a Crostata.
Storing a Crostata
Crostata pies can be stored at room temperature, covered. It is best to leave it in a col area as opposed to in a humid area. Storing in a cool area can keep it upto 2 to 3 days. The dough to make this pie can be kept refrigerated in the fridge for upto three days. All you have to do is make sure that it’s wrapped in plastic. If you keep it in the freezer instead of the fridge, you could keep it for at least three months.
- One and ¾ cups of flour
- ½ a cup of granulated sugar
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- One egg at room temperature
- One egg yolk at room temperature
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons of butter at room temperature
- Three-quarters of a cup of jam
- First, preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and then grease the dish with four.
- Then make the dough using the method mentioned above, wicking together all dry ingredients and topping it over with a slightly beaten egg and yolk mixed with softened butter that’s cut into many pieces. Then form a soft dough and roll it out.
- Wrap it with plastic and keep it refrigerated for 30 minutes. Remove it from the fridge and knead multiple times till it is softened.
- Now, transfer the rolled out dough to a pie plate and trim the extra dough. After this, prick the dough using tongs or a fork. Pour in a jam as much as you’d like and finish off the edges with a lattice finish. Then lightly top it with milk and bake it for 25-30 minutes or until it is golden. Then let it cool till you are able to slice.