I didn’t generate up a Sunday look-back once more write-up for the Florida Gators falling to Ga in Jacksonville last 7 days, usually a) given that I felt like I’d’ve been saying the very same objects as I’ve mentioned simply after nearly each discount of the Dan Mullen period and b) primarily as a result of it could’ve been miserable.
I considered not crafting one up for this Saturday’s lopsided purchase over Vanderbilt for the previous motive, far too — however, hey, I figured I’d generate a little bit one thing.
Listed below are our Sunday afternoon takeaways from this exercise, which happen with out getting provided it or its highlights a second viewing.
As soon as once more: Florida’s not wherein it was
I’ve harped on a variation of this all interval: Florida appears to have made a change from “workforce that struggles to purchase on-line video games it ought to” to “workforce that struggles however wins on-line video games it should.”
Florida performed Four groups that it has completely outclassed this calendar 12 months: UT-Martin, Tennessee, Towson, and Vanderbilt. (Tough yr for groups from Tennessee versus Florida!) All these video video games have lengthy gone to the Gators by a composite score of 173-three.
Florida has performed just a few teams that had been seemingly in between only one and two rungs down from it this 12 months: Miami, Kentucky, and South Carolina. It’s obtained all of individuals video games so significantly, however in nearer fashion, with the preliminary two presently being one-possession affairs and the latter solely discovering to double digits late within the match and instantly after a Florida comeback. (For what it’s really price, I think about Missouri and Florida State nearly definitely slot into this tier.)
Ultimately, Florida has additionally carried out Three groups on the major-15 degree or improved, and has gone one-2 in these on-line video games, with logical results: The Gators gained the property exercise, dropped the neutral-web-site online game by a landing, and dropped the highway recreation by two scores.
General, Florida’s file seems to be like a big quantity like these of the just a few teams it could take into consideration its associates — it’s simply that Florida misplaced to 2 of those three groups, and might be more likely to miss every a tour to Atlanta and a probability to take part in within the College Soccer Playoff consequently.
I get why some lovers can be not completely happy about that, particularly introduced how properly Florida had positioned alone for a miracle SEC/CFP function lower than a backup quarterback previous to the LSU recreation. However what Florida has carried out with that backup quarterback — who’s carried out correctly sufficient that almost all fans have allow him simply be the quarterback — and with a roster that has been racked by accidents is pretty plainly a motion up from what Florida was endeavor for many of this ten years, and I actually want Florida supporters would do additional to get pleasure from and delight on this tier of standard of dwelling at school soccer, as a result of reality the climb to the following tier — the supreme tier, I really feel — is one explicit of the hardest tasks any plan can take care of.
Whether or not or not it’s absolutely appreciated or not, although, Florida is right here.
Kudos to a beautiful crowd
I used to be not bullish about Florida’s probabilities of filling up The Swamp for this match, a nooner versus a obviously-outclassed foe with small marquee profit that got here following a reasonably disappointing decline. However supporters did simply that, turning out in such portions that the launched attendance of 86,000 appears solely a bit inflated as a substitute than totally absurd.
And these had been lovers who stayed and cheered for the Gators on account of just about the entire match, producing sure to belt out “I Will not Back Down.” It’s easier to each of these get out of mattress for and go to a nooner in November when the temperature finally will get all the way down to the decreased 70s in Florida, optimistic, however there was no genuine football-similar clarification for followers to remain for the interval of this sport after Florida opened up its 28- lead within the third — and so they did, a lot kind of.
Florida has had and is heading to have the same points as any plan when it would come to declining attendance (and particularly declining and late-arriving pupil attendance) for college soccer as we get additional right into a century with loads of existential difficulties for reside actions and soccer as a exercise. However Florida drawing an 80-90% capacity group for a midday exercise versus a horrible Vanderbilt workforce signifies that Florida’s athletic division can be coping with as much as these points in significant methods, that Florida admirers are extra devoted attendees at this place in time than fairly just a few gave them credit score rating for, or each.
Mullen is lacking alternate options with Emory Jones
Final calendar 12 months, Dan Mullen utilized Emory Jones having fun with in specialised offers as a (thinly-veiled) line of assault on Kirby Sensible’s deployment of Justin Fields as a Ga freshman. Regardless of if that skilled something in any respect to do with Fields leaving Ga for Ohio Level out is so that you can dialogue — that proof is flimsy as hell, notably in distinction to the opposite additional smart and documented motives for Fields leaving Athens, in my impression — however Mullen skilled a place: Fields was executing nearly nothing in any respect for the Dawgs, when Jones noticed the world and obtained the ball with odds to make performs for the Gators.
In 2018, Fields went 27-for-39 for 328 yards and 4 touchdowns and had 42 carries for 266 yards and Four touchdowns for Georgia.
In 2019, Jones is 19-for-31 for 172 yards and two touchdowns and has 25 carries for 152 yards and Four touchdowns for Florida.
Jones has not thrown additional than eight passes in any recreation, and has simply 6 contemplating that he was rendered Florida’s lone wholesome scholarship quarterback very briefly in direction of Auburn Jones additionally performed very totally from LSU, acquiring 9 carries and throwing a touchdown transfer, however had only a particular person have every in direction of South Carolina and Georgia, and didn’t toss a cross in each of individuals on-line video games.
And with Florida inserting away Vandy early within the third quarter of this online game, the final word 20 or so minutes of garbage time on Saturday appeared like a good time for Jones to take part in much more. As a substitute, following Florida took a 35- direct, Kyle Trask performed on three of the earlier 4 offensive drives, and whereas Jones punched in the entire last three Florida touchdowns on the ground, he wasn’t requested to toss a transfer until that actually previous drive — which showcased completions of 10 and 37 yards, mind you.
I don’t think about Mullen has completed an excellent work of getting Jones reps in dwell online game motion this 12 months, and regardless that I consider he skilled a fairly superior justification for some of his favoring of Trask greater than Jones — particularly, that Trask additionally required reps, as an inexperienced collegiate quarterback — I additionally consider that the validity of that excuse is on the wane. The value of each single rep for Trask in a blowout is marginal and diminishing the worth of getting Jones reps and discovering him off the bench is critical, notably if Florida wishes to guard depth at QB going ahead.
Regardless of if we see a ton rather more of Jones greater than Florida’s final two video video games is anybody’s guess. These individuals video games might be close to, or they might be blowouts Jones might be desired at essential junctures, or may simply be the rubbish-time QB.
However irrespective of if we have to see much more of Jones is a dilemma with an obvious reply. And Mullen failing to reply it correctly is puzzling at best.
- Florida’s first generate and third-to-past drive have been baffling sorts. The Gators opened operate-sack on the first journey, having into third and 12, and solely obtained again to fourth and only one by the use of a fantastic cross to Lamical Perine. They then burned a reasonably good fourth-down carry out design — a form of have interaction in-motion draw with a streak to Perine out of the backfield — on their aspect of the topic … in direction of Vanderbilt … on the preliminary drive of the online game. This didn’t significantly hurt, since Vanderbilt is Vanderbilt, nevertheless it was nevertheless a head-scratcher. Equally with the latter journey: Up 42- with the third quarter simply 17 seconds from completion, Florida arrived out throwing (!?) with Trask (!?!?) and promptly accomplished 1 go, switched ends for the quarter crack, and went -for-Three on the following Three passes for an prolonged Four-and-out. As allocation of snaps goes, that was not glorious.
- As for allocation of targets: Florida had 9 distinctive avid gamers file carries, and 11 distinct gamers recorded catches. Clearly, there may be some overlap there, however that is as quite a few an offense as Florida has doubtlessly at any time skilled, and there’s most certainly some recruiting worth in compiling individuals stats and promoting them. (Of examine course, Florida’s profitable spreading of this sort of wealth would make the dearth of burn off for Jones that considerably rather more perplexing.)
- There’s not quite a bit to say about Florida’s safety mind-boggling an iffy Vandy line that guarded two unhealthy QBs on this exercise, I think about, apart from the obvious reward for Mohamoud Diabate bee-lining to people QBs and recording three sacks and a compelled fumble. Diabate doesn’t undoubtedly seem like an SEC linebacker simply however, however he’s speedy and fast, and if he can maintain people traits while bulking up, he’ll be in line for additional awards than the SEC Freshman of the Week honor he’s a shoo-in for this 7 days.
- Florida’s 5 working backs on this match: 13 carries, 34 yards. Kadarius Toney on this sport: Two carries, 39 yards. Superior for Toney, who gained the majority of his yards on a multi-juke jaunt that would have been 1 of the most important Florida touchdowns at any time had he created 1 or two rather more tacklers cross up, but additionally yikes.
- Much like the upper than: I actually don’t assume Florida’s offensive line was all that numerous with out the necessity of transferring former starter Chris Bleich. Marginally higher, in all probability? The holes nonetheless weren’t truly there within the managing online game, and Trask nevertheless obtained pressured in most of the actual means. It’s clear that probably the most substantial progress for the gamers who comprise this line is coming this offseason, if in any respect.
- Final however not least: It’s gotta be about that point for Derek Mason at Vanderbilt, appropriate? Understandably, Vandy has skilled a damaging interval with all forms of accidents at QB — nevertheless it was all the way down to the backup when it upset Missouri, and it skilled its starter when it fell to UNLV a 7 days prior. Ke’Shawn Vaughn seems to be the overwhelming majority of the Commodores’ offense, and as he was taken utterly out of the exercise on Saturday, Vandy had no hope the least bit of shifting the ball from one thing however light safety. And inspite of Mason’s rep as a defensive coordinator from his Stanford occasions, the Commodores have held simply Three foes below 30 particulars this 12 months. Vandy can’t go bowling, and wishes to accumulate each equally of its final two — in opposition to East Tennessee Level out and Tennessee — to avoid matching the Three-9 report it posted in Mason’s first 12 months, or worse. And actually don’t depend on that occuring.