Laundry rooms are a very important part of our homes. Almost every kind of cleaning activity is done in the laundry room. People are so busy cleaning things in the laundry room that they almost forget about cleaning the laundry area itself. Quite a lot of people agree with this fact that they are not satisfied with the situation of their laundry room. If you don’t have a fresh and clean laundry room, you will not only get a bad odor but you are likely to catch some bacterial or fungal infection.
This article is intended to help all the common people who are struggling to maintain the sanitation of their laundry room. Anything can’t be kept clean for long. In order to maintain the cleanliness of anything, you should clean it on a regular basis. That is the key.
You can do the same with your laundry room. Just develop some easy habits to clean it and the laundry room will never be the same. Take a look at these easy tips.
Take care of your washer first
- This is the thing that most of people miss on. They think that washing machines don’t need to be cleaned. The presence of moisture inside the washer provides an excellent environment for all kinds of bacteria to grow. The effects of it won’t be seen immediately but if left unattended, your laundry room will be full of unpleasant smells. In case you don’t clean the mold for a long time, it may turn into toxins that would harm you when inhaled.
- Detergent dispensers are the favorite spots for such accumulations. You should check them first.
- There are various cleaners available in the market that can clean such accumulations. You can buy one of them and spray the cleaner on the places where such molds are accumulated. After you have sprayed the cleanse, wipe those areas with a cloth and soapy water (using hot water mixed with soap will work even better). Now the wash cycle to the hottest level available on your washer to clean the system and then wait for the drum to dry completely.
- Take some hot water and mix it with soap (it should be a dish soap). After you have mixed it thoroughly, take out the dryer lint trap and put that into that water for some time and then scrub it thoroughly. If you have a front load washing machine then you need to clean its seepage rubbers. These rubbers will accumulate mold so you can use some mold cleaner to keep it clean.
- Take out the dryer hose and remove the waste buildup using the vacuum attachment.
- After you have cleaned all the removable parts of your washer, take a soaking wet cloth wipe the outside surface of the washer.
Keep your laundry area well-organized
- You will not be able to do it if your laundry area is not organized well. As the size of the laundry area is small and people put a lot of things in there. So, you need to organize the stuff in a good manner so that cleaning would be easier.
- Add shelves at all the suitable places. All the small items should be stored in shelves leaving plenty of area in the laundry room free.
- Trash Can is a must for a laundry room. You should keep it in the laundry room for keeping the things that are useless in one place.
- We use several laundry-related products that come in pockets and we can’t use all of them at once. For keeping the left-over of all such materials, you should have an additional container. This way, you will be able to reduce the mesh in your laundry area.
- Different baskets should be used to put dirty and fresh laundry apart.
- In the same way, you should use baskets or boxes for storing hangers that have not been used yet.
- There should be enough hooks to drying lines in your laundry area that would enable you to dry the clothes that are not meant for the dryer. But keep in mind that you don’t compromise with the working area in your laundry room while using the hangers or the drying lines.
- There should be a place for hanging the ironing board when that is not in use. It will help you to maximize the working area in your laundry room.
- In order to keep your laundry area clean and safe, you should be very precise about what you have to keep in the laundry room and what should be taken out.
- All these things will not look the same if you are not serious about maintaining a regular laundry routine. Just take the laundry in your room, clean it, and then take it away.
Cleaning every part of your laundry room is equally important
Every part of your laundry room matters if you want to give your laundry area a fresh and clean look. Its not enough you have cleaned your washing machine but you also need to clean the laundry room. Here, we are going to talk about the areas where dust and other things accumulate the most.
- You should clean the shelves and windows sills very carefully. Take care of the dust accumulated there.
- Use the all-purpose cleaners to wipe the cabinets, countertops, and other things that are present in your laundry room.
- Utility sink is a place where waste is accumulated most of the time. It should be cleaned on a regular basis.
- Clean all the surfaces in your laundry area using a vacuum cleaner and mop the floor regularly.
- Trash Can should be emptied regularly. In most cases, the trash cans are the source of bad odor in your laundry room.
- There are various other appliances in your laundry room except for the washer. Things like irons, steamers should also be sanitized once a week for a fresh feel.
- In the same way, don’t forget to clean the baskets and other contents that are used more often while doing the laundry.
- You should clean the laundry room like this once or twice a week. Though how many times you should clean it depends on the usage of your laundry room.
We have put together various thoughts and suggestions to help you in cleaning the laundry room. Remember that this freshness will not last long if you are not following this routine strictly.