Rehabilitation is a process that helps a person to improve the abilities of daily life. They can be physical, mental, or even cognitive skills that may have been lost due to a disease or injury. Rehabilitation Centres across the world helps in improving the functioning of the body.
The people who need rehabilitation are those with :
- Severe infections
- Heart Strokes
- Developmental disabilities
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic experiences
- Birth defects or genetic issues
Goals of a Rehabilitation Program
The main goal of a rehabilitation center is to regain the natural abilities of the body and function normally. However, there are specific goals for different types of rehabilitation. It could be based on their problem and what they are going through.
For instance, a person who had a sudden chronic disease needs rehabilitation to be able to dress or bathe without assistance. They will also get assistance in exercising and regaining their lost abilities.
Rehabilitation Program Process
There are various steps for the rehabilitation process. They are required to understand the needs, goals, and treatment plan for a person. Depending on the severity, a rehabilitation program can last from months to years. The process of a rehabilitation program includes:
- Orientation and Application
- Determination of Eligibility
- Assessment of Patient
- Individualized Plan for Patient
- Services Provided
- Record Closed
Methods in a Rehabilitation Program
There are various types of treatments used for rehabilitation. This is in regard to the type of issue to be addressed. Some of the treatment methods are:
- Mental Health Counselling: In order to address problems like depressions, anxiety, stress, etc.
- Nutritional Counseling: To give an idea of the diets that should be followed for a person with a disease or medical condition.
- Music or Art Therapy: In order to improve feeling or thinking ability. Also helps in developing social connections.
- Assistive Devices: Helps people with disabilities and physical problems like movement. Various tools and equipment are developed for their assistance.
- Physical Therapy: Helps in regaining the physical strength of a person. Their mobility and fitness are taken into consideration.
- Recreational Therapy: Helps to improve the emotional well being of a person through arts, games, and animal-assisted therapies.
- Cognitive Rehabilitation: Helps in the improvement of the internal abilities of a person like their thinking and learning abilities.
- Speech Therapy: Assistance to the speaking, understanding, reading, and writing skills of a person.
- Vocational Rehabilitation: Helps to get better on activities like schools and jobs.
- Occupational Therapy: Helps to be more efficient in daily activities.
Types of Rehabilitation Programs
- Neurological Rehabilitation: This program aims for people who are suffering from various neuromuscular diseases, stroke, spinal cord injuries, and various types of head trauma. The program aims to make a person self-dependent and have a positive attitude in life. The end result is the physical, emotional, and social improvement of a person.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation: This is mainly focused on people who have heart problems. Their lifestyle is altered to suppress heart disease and stress. The program looks forward to educating people on the risk factors like drugs, blood pressure, drinking, and many more.
- Drug Rehabilitation: This program is focused on making an addict free from the influences of drug usage. Various counseling programs are designed to educate the person on the darker sides of these pleasures. Programs are also charted to prevent relapse.
- Alcohol Rehabilitation: This program is designed to help an alcohol addict free from drinking problems. They will be educated on the harmful side of drinking. There will also be detox programs to cleanse the body from the toxins in the body formed due to excessive drinking.
- Physical Rehabilitation: This program is for people who have gone through serious illness, surgeries, or accidents which have impacted the normal functioning of the body. A therapist will help the person to learn the basic physical and cognitive functions of the injured part of the body.
- Medical Rehabilitation: This program is aimed at a person who has undergone a major treatment in their life. The aim of the program is to reinforce the major and minor activities as a normal routine in their life. They access the people first and develop the plan to improve the patient’s everyday activities.
- Vestibular Rehabilitation: The program is aimed at looking into the problems of the ear and the central nervous system. It also involves the motor skills of the eye and the brain
Rehabilitation services can be availed in many ways. There are independent rehabilitation centers, some along with hospitals and also services provided at home. Rehabilitation helps a person to take care of their body and maintain the level of health care that is expected. This can reduce complications and help in the oneness of the community.