There comes a time in a person’s life when they need the help of a lawyer. Perhaps, the best time to get legal advice indeed is when you do not need one. This mind-set helps prevent you from future litigation. You do not have to be a habitual offender or a litigious person to need assistance from a legal expert. Often, small matters like buying property and taxation issues require legal aid.
However, not every legal proceeding is formal. Cases for paltry sums of money do not need legal representation. Additionally, minor driving offenses are not severe legal matters as one can resolve them by paying the charged fine. Many people fail to understand different categories of law, which is why they face difficulties in hiring the right lawyer.
Generally, there are two categories of law. One is civil law, and the other is criminal law. Civil law covers legal issues between two private parties. In the light of this law, one party sues the other for compensation concerning some unlawful acts. It also covers other matters which require paperwork, such as legal agreements.
Criminal law, on the other hand, deals with the act of violating state laws. Most offenses carry penal sanctions, and public prosecutors handle cases. The type of penalty depends on the severity of the crime. Generally, misdemeanors carry fines, while felonies may result in incarceration.
General reasons why people hire lawyers
There are several reasons why you should talk to a lawyer. A licensed lawyer can help you get to the heart of the matter and provide you information on your case. He/She can further inform you about your options to ease your mind and to help you make an informed decision about your future. Most importantly, a lawyer can help you avoid the loopholes that can weaken your case.
As a general rule of thumb, it is better to consult a lawyer when you are in a bind. Most lawyers offer free consultations to analyze if the case has any legal merit. Since some areas of law are complex, so it is better to talk to a professional. For example, the U.S tax code is a constantly evolving legal matter. Therefore, a person with an LLM in taxation online or an institution-based degree can adequately guide you about the laws and procedures. Below we have listed some of the common issues where you can consult lawyers for a favorable settlement.
- Starting your marital life: Getting married is a big commitment, and often people do not plan it well. 50% of all marriages end in divorce. Therefore, it makes sense to put all your ducks in a row before saying ‘I do.’ Consult a lawyer and draft a prenuptial agreement. This agreement states what happens to the joint possessions at the time of marriage break down. A solicitor with his/her expertise will cover all the things in this agreement.
- Resolving custody issues: The primary concern after a divorce is the custody of the children. Matters end up becoming so contentious that both parties have to seek help from a third party. The third-party (mediator) leads a session to help both parties reach a mutually acceptable decision. Your lawyer can help prepare you for this procedure. Besides, he/she can guide with paperwork and offer valuable input on the process.
- Starting a business: Becoming an entrepreneur is not just about having the business acumen for success. A lot of paperwork is involved in this procedure. Being a businessman, you have to register your company and ensure that all internal practices comply with regulations. While you can do this on your own, it is better to have someone with experience on board.
- Criminal offense: If you are facing a criminal investigation, you should seek help from a lawyer. People often seek to hire a competent lawyer since the procedure is too intimidating for them. Having a legal mind on board can give you the right advice from the get-go. Your lawyer will protect your rights throughout the process.
- Preparing for the future: You do not want to leave a messy estate behind. To avoid this eventuality, you must plan a will at your earliest. The will is a record of your wishes for what happens to the things you leave behind. Experts recommend preparing will at the earliest so that your heirs dispose of the assets according to your willingness. You can add any wishes to your will and give gifts to various relatives. Your solicitor will guide you about the technicalities of the will.
- Employment issues: Companies cannot terminate people without following a set procedure. Several laws regulate the ties between employers and employees. These include legal procedures about the termination and hiring methods a company must follow. Since the laws have minor technicalities, it is better to hire an attorney specializing in industry matters.
What to look for in a lawyer?
Not every lawyer is an expert. There are certain things you should keep in mind before you hire a lawyer. Like doctors, every lawyer has his/her specialty. It is better to consult someone practicing in the field relevant to your legal matter. The relationship between lawyers and their clients relies on trust and confidentiality; therefore, hire someone you can depend on.
You can effectively search for a lawyer by asking friends and family. Ask them for referrals on whom to consult for your legal issues. You can also look through the websites of local bar associations. They have lists of competent lawyers who work in the area. Advertisements can also help you in the search for legal representation.
There are many reasons why a person might need a lawyer. You might have gotten in trouble with the law, or it can be something innocent like registering a business. Whatever the reason might be, always consult a legal expert about possible ramifications before making any major decisions in your life. It is best to look for recommendations to reach to the best conclusions.